Thursday 5 July 2007

TERRORISM: TIME TO REFLECT (1)

Catching up with the last couple of day’s papers, you would think the NHS is in meltdown, staffed by terrorists and nothing more than a sleeper organisation for militant terrorists. I even have a friend who claims to have changed his Jarrow doctor of the last 20 years because he originates from India. If I worked for the NHS and was of overseas origin, for example employed in an A and E emergency ward on a Friday/Saturday night, faced with white/British people completely plastered and violent, I would feel a little bit insulted to think that the rest of the country thinks I am a militant extremist. I’m sure you understand the point I am trying to make! Whilst I know that some Irish communities did suffer during the height of the IRA mainland bombing campaign, I can’t recall the same stereotypical hysteria being directed at Irish navvies working on building sites and road programmes. I don’t recall the Sun prophesising that our motorways would suddenly disintegrate due to some Fennian agenda to use sub standard concrete.

Now that the initial shock has passed, it might be time to take a step back and reflect calmly and with focus; no more bombs have gone off, there has not been a city wide attack of suicide terrorists and people have not been poisoned in their NHS beds. Yes we need to be vigilant and yes we need to dramatically improve of vetting process, but who is to say these individuals did not become radicalised after they entered the country? Once again, we need to look inwardly for solutions, and abroad with an extension of the “blame culture.”

No comments:

Counter

WHERE ARE YOU