Wednesday 11 April 2007

STATE OF THE NATION ADDRESS

A comment on one of my posts has recently appeared on “Curlys Corner Shop” blog at http://curly15.wordpress.com. Curly has admirably written at length on many national and regional issues, but this time he tapped into a troubled vein when he outlined the twin issues of immigration/migration of labour and the welfare state. Whilst I didn't fully grasp his views on these issues I did congratulate him on one of his most succinct posts yet. These two issues are in my mind the biggest problems that Britain has had to face since the Second World War. They have in effect the ability to “make” or “break” this nation.

In a state of contemplation and reflection, I have been compelled to consider how we stand as a country and what the future holds. After consideration of many issues, I came to the conclusion, that even as an eternal optimist, I can’t help thinking that we are currently not “fit for purpose” and need a radical overhaul of our institutions, societal structure and political philosophy.

Over the next few weeks I shall give you my opinions on several topics. You might not agree and in some cases the unmentionable may have to be spoken, but let’s use this as an opportunity to start a debate on the “health of the nation”. As I said to Curly, the old Salvation Army song shall be the mantra of the day;

“Dare to be a Daniel, dare to stand alone,
Dare to have a purpose firm
Dare to make it known”.

No comments:

Counter

WHERE ARE YOU